life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Is it 'cos I'm fly?

Did you know that Ryan Gosling, star of the new (well, new to Australia – released today, in fact) movie The Notebook, is Canadian? Yup, born in the bustling metropolis of Cornwall, Ontario was he. Born in 1980. Jaysus, that makes him all of 24 – well, 24 on November 12. When did I go from being a young buck to an old man?!

I heard today that Jim Carrey, the famous face-twisting Canadian of cheap-laugh-comedies fame, has been granted US citizenship. Supposedly it’s so he can vote in the US election, but I suspect it’s some plot by the US government to enlist him, Sydney Bristow-style, into some Alias-type undercover operation. Not that I’ve ever watched an episode of Jennifer, Michael et al. I hear it's very good – probably due to the formidable screen presence of Victor Garber (proud Canadian actor extraordinaire).

Apparently I’m on some kind of Canadian kick today. Well, most days, really. I’m heading “oot” tonight with my friend Number One to see a circus show currently playing in Sydney. My friend Barb from our old (like 1993!) Whistler days is part of the touring production, and has set aside a couple of tickets for tonight’s performance. She was going to see it with me, but remembered she has a conference call that will preclude her joining me. Barb was kind enough to let me see an earlier performance, so this will be my follow-up trip to le Grand Chapiteau. If you’ve ever seen any of these particular circus productions, you’ll probably have an idea how bizarre the shows can be. I’ve been lucky enough to see one show in Las Vegas and another in Orlando prior to my first viewing of this show in August. I suppose I’m a veteran after soooo many shows, but I sure remember seeing my first show and thinking afterwards that I wanted to meet the person who had the vision to think up such a f*@%&d up production. He/she was either a genius or on some serious mind-altering drugs. I felt less so after seeing my second and third shows, but they’re still way-out-there shows. What a cool company the circus would be to work for…

I’ve pretty much done everything imaginable to avoid work today. “It’s OK,” I think. “I only work part-time and I can take some time to piss around.” How, then, do I account for the fact that I’ve done absolutely nothing all week? Tomorrow! I’ll be better tomorrow!

Tonight is a red-letter date in Australian TV history: the debut of the new season of The Amazing Race!! I’m still reeling from the displacement of Playing It Straight, but the fact that TAR is taking its 8:30 timeslot makes my loss a little easier to take. But wither poor PIS?! I thought it was supposed to screen at 11:30 but, alas, the TV Guide has no record of a late-night PIS screening. I’m doomed to a life of despair and drama without the knowledge of how Dane, Campbell, Chad and Evan fared trying to win poor small-town girl Rebecca’s heart. I figure it’ll be Dane, so no need to lose sleep over it. I still suspect that he’s a big ol’ power bottom, but I guess that doesn’t mean he’s necessarily gay : )

I’m just a bit curious about something…..

Is it ‘cos I’m cool
Why you dress like me
Is it honesty
Or you just a fool

Is it ‘cos I’m smart
Why you break my heart
With the lies you tell
Baby kiss and tell

Just wondering, as is (apparently) the singer of this song playing on Nova right now. Jeepers, there’s lots of lyrical rhyming in this song! Very Bananarama-esque. Well done, girls – or whoever wrote these deep, meaningful lyrics.

Is it ‘cos I’m fly
‘Cos I said what I said
When I said what I said
But I didn’t say

Is it ‘cos I’m wrong
That you jump right in
With no discipline
Baby sink or swim

Yup. No doubt about it: this song will win the songwriter a mittful of trophies during the upcoming awards season. Can’t wait to get out my ball gown and celebrate in front of the live TV telecast! About my ball gown: it's seafoam green and full of lace, with a big ol' bow on the butt.

Why does my stereo click on all by itself? It’s happened at least 4 times now – most recently last night when I was out for a late-night walk. I got home and the little devil machine was warbling away in the corner, spitting out its scratchy, static-laden solo. No biggie, except for the fact that I got home on Monday night after 4 days in Brisbane and walked in to hear the now-familiar scratchy sound from the corner. Luckily the volume wasn’t too high, but I’m sure my neighbours wouldn’t have appreciated 24/7 worth of stereo coming from next door. Not to mention the impact on my electricity bill.

And should I get started on the outlandish cost of electricity here? Naw, better not start that rant. It’s best saved for another day. Alternatively, it’s best not to open that can of worms at all. Let’s just leave it in the Outrageous category.

What’s the deal with Gwen Stefani’s hair. Just wondering, cuz holy Bride of Freakin’ Frankenstein!

12:09AM: If you get the chance to see one a show from this circus, please take advantage. The show was at least as good -- possibly better -- the second time 'round. Still, I can't help but wonder what kind of halucinogenics the creators have found to fuel their fantastic dreams. Crazy French Canadians : )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home