life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Monday, April 16, 2007

My specialty

On Friday, I hit IKEA and realized that I'm a weak man it was full of things I needed to buy. Chief among them -- and the reason for my going in the first place -- was the need to get balcony furniture during the "Suddenly it's summer!" sale. Well, bejeezus if I didn't walk outta there with more crap than anyone in the history of the world has ever needed. But at least I managed to find furniture for my wee balcony-with-a-wicked-view.

Picture #1: This chair, table and bench were a very thrifty purchase. And, coincidentally enough, they are the exact same pieces I used to have for my VIP terrace at the circus. Except that apparently Canadian IKEA assembles these pieces for you, while American IKEA makes you do it yourself. God bless Canada!

Now, I need your opinion on something. Despite the minimal size of my balcony, I think I may be able to find room for one more single chair to go along with the bench and the table. What do y'all think?

And just in case anyone needs reminding, here are some pics (fresh from Saturday) to entice you to come over and enjoy my hospitality! Imagine it at sunset with a cocktail in-hand!! Anyone interested in martinis? I could even be persuaded to mix up a batch of margaritas or something else fruity. Fruity, after all, is my specialty!!

Picture #2: I counted 10 tankers in the harbour -- a fairly solid showing for a Saturday afternoon!! This picture depicts the view looking West-ward, towards the amazing sunsets we get over English Bay. Can you feel the ambience?!

Picture #3: This is the view looking over English Bay Beach towards Stanley Park and West Van. You may be able to see the Seawall snaking its way between the shoreline and the road, then towards Stanley Park. The Seawall is where all the action happens, particularly on weekends -- it's packed with walkers and runners, families and singles, old and young, gay and straight, normal and on-the-fringe -- and is the perfect place for people watching particularly with a cocktail in-hand, stealthily concealed in a thermos or Big Gulp cup.

Picture #4: This is the view looking down onto a couple of buildings just below mine. Notice the rooftop gardens and balconies where folks gather to try and look at the fireworks displays in July and August. And then, notice how poor their view will be compared to mine : ) The fireworks barge parks itself smack dab in front of the beach seen in the Picture #3, and spits out its spectacular show for 500,000 peope to see. But who'll have the best vantage point in town? Me and everyone else in the four towers that make up my apartment complex! And notice as well the fact that I'm a two-minute walk from the beach. Out my front door, turn right, turn left, cross the street, and I'm there. I love living in Vancouver's West End!

All you readers are invited to come on over for a drink. Just give me some warning first so I can clean the bathroom!

5 Comments:

  • morrie,
    i'd be there in five if i could...save me a seat! looks like a great place for a cherry vodka & lemonade, or two, or three...miss you! cookie xx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:00 p.m.  

  • the view from your balcony looks fantastic! unfortunately, it's too far away... by the way, i have the same furniture on my balcony

    By Blogger choconet, at 2:19 p.m.  

  • so yes indeed one more chair will complete your "fantasy-balcony". One thought I had.... I'm surprised you didn't have a seizure when you saw circus furniture! Lovely none the less! Mike and I will be getting something similar for our place... seems like forever that it will be done! So no luck with flying to Spain via Vancouver but San Fran is sounding all so sweet :) Miss you gal!
    Tower Girl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:32 p.m.  

  • You know I will be there... eventually.
    Did someone say Martinis?

    By Blogger Franciscus van Munster, at 2:56 a.m.  

  • I think it's great, kinda pokey compared to what we had back in Nebraska!!!

    ;)

    Miss you
    Mona
    xxxx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:43 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home