life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

"Sure Jeff, I'm in! I'll drink the kool-aid!"

Holy hell! I am soooooo over Set Up! It's hard work getting our tent ready and looking just-so for Premiere night tomorrow. I know I used to work a million hours a week for years and years in my previous professional life, but the past several days have been about long hours filled with manual labour, leaving me tired, sore, and desperately looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. In fact, I have so many cuts and gashes on my hands from all the lifting, hauling, cutting, hoisting, and dragging I've done, that I'm gonna have to moisturize for weeks I finally have tradesman hands.

But the tent looks fabulous. We just have the finishing touches to complete tomorrow in advance of the Premiere, and then we're back to full-on operational mode. We have only 8 shows a week here in Adelaide, so that's scaling back a bit from the normal schedule -- and I ain't complainin' Mary!

I conducted the training session with my Adelaide team members today, and realized just how rusty I am. Developing and delivering training programs is something I love doing, and have a talent for. I know this. But having been away from it for nearly two years really showed today. It went OK, but I didn't find that I was able to get the team as enthused and motivated as I would have liked. Normally I can get up there and make them believers without any problems. "Sure, Jeff, I'm in! I'll drink the kool-aid!" Today I never felt like I got the buy-in that I was hoping for. I'm sure, however, that they'll be just fine and that this city will run smoothly. Sure...famous last words : )

Still, I realized a lot of wins today. I can't believe that some -- well, many -- of the things that I incorporated into today's training program had never, ever been done before. It seems to me that there was a lot of low-handing fruit just waiting to be picked, so I (naturally) picked it. Why hadn't these things been done before? Why had people complained about not knowing this or that, not having done one thing or another, when all they had to do was just freakin' do it?! Stop complaining; make it happen!

Oh well, it doesn't matter that these things haven't been done before, cuz they're sure gonna be done from now on! Hell ya! Three snaps. Go girl!

I am soooooo ready for the Premiere Party!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home