life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Say it! Say it, goddamnit!
"Hi, how are you?!"

It's not hard. In fact, there are a few simple steps to follow. It's child's play, really, and I don't think I'm asking too much.

  • when I walk into your shop, acknowledge me
  • smile and look alive interested
  • even though I was just in your shop a few short days ago...you don't necessarily have to recognize me personally, cuz I understand that you see a lot of people every day
  • all I ask is that you simply recognize me as a customer who may spend money (or has already, in this case) -- I implore you, please recognize my propensity to spend!!
  • don't stand there blankly, saying nothing
  • when I, the customer, take the customer service role and says, "Hi, how are you?" all you have to do is smile and take the cue
  • don't continue to stand there as if you're in a catatonic state -- SAY HELLO AND SMILE, GODDAMNIT!
  • but, at the very least, when I say that I was in a couple of days ago and left a pair of black pants to be hemmed....clue in and say something like, "Sure, let me just look for them" or "Not a problem, sir, what was your name again?" or even "I'm sorry, I don't remember. But if you give me a second..."
  • don't look as if you've never, ever had anybody come in to pick up their pants before and that I (still the customer) am realllly putting you out by asking you this HUGE favour
  • in short, don't make me feel uncomfortable, as if I'm interrupting your day because you have better things to do than accept my money that will possibly keep your small, pathetic business afloat
  • and when I walk out the door and say to you, "Thanks! Have a nice day now!" it would kinda be nice if you actually, again, clued in and said something back that shows how you appreciate my patronage, instead of being a complete tool so quiet

It's not hard. But I guess I'm just asking too much. What is it with this fucking customer service-forsaken country?

I'm so glad I work with people who know what customer service is.

1 Comments:

  • Good Guest service begins with ....
    Wait that doesn't work.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:27 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home