life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Sunday, January 28, 2007

My Trip Report: Whistler

My first trip to Whistler since June/04. My first ski trip to Whistler since March/03. Yippee!!

The new and improved highway is absolutely wicked. (Thank goodness we won the Olympic bid to expedite this improvement!) As I drove the new section just before Lion's Bay, I heard myself giggling out loud at the improvement to two lanes in each direction. But the real kicker was through the Canyon north of Squamish, where BOB has a new bridge beside it, and the northbound lanes have doubled. It doesn't even look like a canyon anymore; that's how much blasting they've done to widen and straighten the road. Wicked!

Friday night I hung out with two of my best gal pals, ordering in sushi and watching the Canucks game (they lost in overtime). We caught up real good, having not visited in 2-1/2 years, and shared gossip as best we could. I love those gals!

Saturday, I volunteered at the Gala event of an annual fundraising event for a charitable foundation, which took place up top of Whistler at the Roundhouse. It was good fun, and we helped transform the cavernous facilities into a gorgeous, intimate lounge-type venue. Well, maybe not a lounge, but it was still pretty amazing how much of an improvement it was. I was, of course, working the Martini Bar. Being the bartender extraordinaire that I am, they knew where to highlight my talents!! Offering a choice of Orangetini or Crantini, we pleased many of the partygoers with our wit, wisdom, and worldliness.

But then the real fun began. I skied today. And the good news is that my tree-trunk legs are still good for something! It was great to give 'em a good workout by doing some punishing runs, but I still need to work on pivoting my skis instead of just sliding turns when I get lazy. Still, however, I had a great time and felt pretty rock-solid on top of my Salomons.

The day was picture-perfect, with plentiful snow coverage, a chance to ski the new Symphony Express, and nary a cloud in the sky. I cut some turns with friends in the AM, but was on my own for the last couple of hours, so could hit the Singles line and practically ski onto the lift every run. Fairly stellar : )

I offer proof of the kind of day it was with the following photographs, taken from the top of Whistler at approximately 12:30PM this afternoon. Ain't Black Tusk somethin' else?!


I hope you've enjoyed my trip report. Next visit to Whistler: two weeks!

5 Comments:

  • I could not be any more jealous!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:08 a.m.  

  • hooooray from ripping down the mountains!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:39 a.m.  

  • well hallo morrie! the mountains are almost as gorgeous as you -- what a sight for sore eyes...here in the t.dot, we just got enough snow to shove and hate but not enough to make me want to do anything outside. i should just move there so you can teach me to swoosh. taulk soon daul, leona xx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:50 a.m.  

  • What stunning pics Jeff! I too am jealous - I haven't been skiing in two seasons now. Ontario just doesn't seem to compare to your lovely ski spots. I like your take of the highway... I'll have to write my Aunt and Uncle who live in Lions Bay to see what they think of the project! Cookie and I are doing lunch and drinks this Sat afternoon... feel free to give us gals a call :)
    Miss you - Tower Girl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:44 p.m.  

  • Thanks for the feedback, ladies and gents!! It was a great visit.

    Tower Girl: I was actually thinking of your Aunt and Uncle as I went through Lion's Bay. I'm sure they lived through much inconvenience while the construction was in full force, but the result is absolutely stunning. I still slow down to 60kph while passing through LB, as they speed limit tells me to, but the bit before it is soooo beeyooteefool at 100kph or so : )

    By Blogger just call me jeff, at 11:25 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home