life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Compliments, not insults

Yesterday, I wrote about awareness. And this is another lesson in awareness from yours truly.

Someone told me something recently that has made me much more aware. He complimented me about something, but I did my typical brush it off thing. You know, the whole "aw shucks" thing that I usually do because I'm not always comfortable receiving compliments. Then he looked directly in my eyes and said very pointedly, "You're welcome...." And he reminded me that if I don't thank the person who gives me a compliment, it's insulting to them.

I don't think I'd ever thought of it that way, preferring instead to be all wrapped up in my own feelings of insecurity and "undeserving-ness." But this guy has taught me a lot lately, and I feel richer having benefitted from his friendship.

And, you can be sure that, ever since he pointed it out, I've made a very pointed effort to properly acknowledge every single compliment he gives me. And I make sure to throw a compliment his way once in a while, too : )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home