life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Friday, December 31, 2004

Surely it's not that cold outside

I watched Sydney’s 9:00pm fireworks from the rooftop of my building and started chatting idly with a nice guy who was also watching the fireworks alone. Tall, dark, handsome. "Hmmmm," I thought, "maybe this year will end off on a positive note!" And then it happened: I actually bored him into abandoning the fireworks and retreating to the safety and comfort of his apartment. Far away from me. Sure, it was on the pretense of "just getting a jumper because it’s a bit cool outside." Why, then, didn't he return again to watch the rest of the show?

It’s official: I’m fucking boring.

And I watched the rest of the fireworks extravaganza alone. What a surprise – doing yet another thing alone. As per normal. Obviously I wasn't meant to snuggle up with the I’m-just-going-to-get-a-jumper guy, but it would have been nice to have someone special to watch with. Maybe by next New Year I’ll have found a way to get back to my less-boring normal self. And maybe I'll have rediscovered the me that I like. And maybe someone else will, too.

I'll raise a glass to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home