life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Sunday, December 26, 2004

Kudos Mr. Karloff

Most enduring image of Christmas 2004: my adorable 6-year-old niece N. curled up beside me on the couch, head nestled on my shoulder and clutching my arm as we watched the classic Seuss cartoon How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

There's just something about that Boris Karloff-voiced cartoon that alternatingly scares, thrills, and overjoys you. Every year while we were kids, my brother, sisters and I would count down the days until it would be on TV. We'd get to stay up late, we'd probably get a treat or two, and it always signaled the true start of Christmas for me (and, I suspect, for them).

Now, in the age of VCRs, we can watch it anytime we like. But this year -- like last year -- we waited until Christmas evening after the frantic gift-opening, after the belt-stretching Christmas lunch, after the excitement had finally died down. I can't begin to relate how cool it was to watch that same cheesy memory-evoking cartoon with my nieces and see the conflicting emotions on their faces as they first jeered, and then cheered, the Grinch. And what about that adorable dog Max?! I think I need to get me a hound like him!

PS: I'm sure the Jim Carrey live-action Grinch from a few years ago is just fine (insert patronizing tone here). Haven't watched it. Don't need to. My Grinch will always be voiced by Boris Karloff.

1 Comments:

  • Don't bother with the Jim Carey version. My mum made me watch it yesterday with her, insisting it was a fine movie. It somehow was the highest grossing film of 2000 in the US. I'm shocked and appalled.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:08 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home