life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

From the mouths of babes

When I was up in Brisbane last week, I had a great time catching up with my two seven-year-old nieces -- who seem to have grown about 4 inches in the last 3 months, by the way!

During my visit, I was reminded once again of two things the twins seem to have an absolutely fascination with:

1. The fact that I am adopted. My brother turns 40 in October, and I suggested to my sisters that, while the three of us were together, we put our heads together and compile a list of embarrassing things he did when he was growing up. Luckily there were plenty of gems to choose from!

Anyways, my great idea led to the three of us brain dumping, then recording a very funny and heartfelt five-months-in-advance video recounting those great stories and laughing our asses off. But while my sisters and I were recalling some of our brother's Greatest Hits, my niece N asked us something about when the four of us were all young. And then she added, "...but that was before Uncle Jeff lived at Nana and Papa's, wasn't it?"

Sometimes I wonder how so many wheels can be turning in the mind of someone so young. But it's clear that (like her Uncle Jeff) she's got a memory for detail that will serve her very well in life.

2. How much I love to eat. At one point, my other niece D said with genuine wonder in her voice, "Uncle Jeff....how can you eat so much and be so skinny?"

Oh, how I love that little girl!! It's certainly a far cry from my days as a kid. In fact, in one of the stories I recounted for my brother's birthday video, I questioned whether he was as traumatized as I was when going jeans shopping with my mother around ages 7 and 8 (or thereabouts). I remember going to Sears and mom would ask the salesperson for "Toughskin jeans. 'Slim Fit' for one (that would be my brother) and 'Husky Fit' for the other (motioning, of course, to me)."

No wonder I have body issues to this day!! A part of me will always be the little boy who needed Husky Fit Toughskins. Thank heaven for seven-year-old nieces who make you feel pretty damn good about yourself : )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home