life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

A little closer to home

Yesterday I picked up my passport with my new Chinese visa in it, because it's only a few days until I head to Beijing. But first, tonight I get to watch the show from The Garage. And I get to deal with an extremely high maintenance group on Friday. And I've got tons of planning to do to get ready for our next city of San Diego. Will I get it all done?!

Yesterday we had a marathon off-site management meeting to do year-end performance reviews for our entire department of Supervisors. Some reviews were easier to do than others, of course, but it was very useful to have input from the other managers. In fact, it helped each of us deal with some issues that we each would have struggled with if we were going through the process solo.

If one of us had a negative opinion of someone's performance in a particular area, the others might have a different experience, and we would talk it out. If one of us had a really great view of someone's results, someone else may have had a less-than-terrific view, and it would spur some great conversations. It was a really good way of coming to concensus and ensuring we evaluate all of our team members according to the same scale. And we're great at keeping each other in line! A really good thing done.

And you know what? I get a real kick out of watching Hong Kong TV and seeing three consecutive shows that are filmed in Vancouver: Tru Calling, Cold Squad, and Smallville. Makes me feel a little closer to home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home