life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Days like these

It was either 98 degrees of 100 degrees, depending on which media outlet you trust. Either way, it was the hottest day in Philadelphia in 4 years. This follows by a few weeks some of the most extreme flooding seen in years. In all, I'm told that this is the most extreme weather in 100 years. Oh dear.

And yet I managed to avoid the slug-like existence that usually marks my Mondays. I went out last night, but purposely controlled myself and only had a couple of drinks. I just didn't relish the thought of waking up with a hangover and wasting all day today. So, a couple of drinks later, I went home at a decent time last night and managed to sleep a full 5 hours -- damn that ridiculous internal alarm clock that woke me up at 6 freakin' AM this morning. Arrgghh!

But I managed to nap again for a few hours and woke up refreshed and ready to tackle my Monday. I did some exploring -- driving my car for only the third time since coming to Philly on June 28 -- and finally saw a little bit more than the route that our shuttle takes to work daily. The plan for the day was to head to America's second-biggest mall, but the drive there nearly killed me. It was only 30 or 40 minutes, but it was so freakin' hot that I nearly expired on the way. Usually, my non-air-conditioned Jeep is fine. I'm a big fan of WD-120 air conditioning: Windows Down, 120 km per hour. But today, the wind in my hair was so uncomfortably, stinkin' hot that I felt like I was getting blown dry. Not fun.

Finally, I made it to my destination and did a wee bit o' shoppin'. Not that I need anything, but I'm never one to turn down yet another funny printed t-shirt a bargain. Needless to say, I left with a few things to stuff into the two suitcases that I call my worldly possessions. Just what I needed -- more crap : )

I finally feel like I actually did something on my day off instead of just recovering from a hangover, overwork, or whatever else is ailing me. Days like these are good. Hot, but good.

PS: for America's second-biggest mall, I was pretty seriously disappointed. Just nothing really spectacular, ya know?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home