life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Sunday, October 24, 2004

Dicko says: even gay men
want to see a real man

Random Sunday night musings:
  • Seems as though The Poo has done the unthinkable and dumped Our Delta, reportedly because he was bored. Bored?! Spare me! What's worse, he left her for that skank. Obviously there's no accounting for taste. May God have mercy on him when he next sets foot in Oz, cuz his love-hate relationship with the Australian public just took an unrecoverable turn for the worst. (Editor's note: can you imagine how much courage Delta's gonna have to summon every time she sings "Out of the Blue" now? Luckily, she's a courageous girl, and is better off to be "Out of the Poo" and free to find a relationship with an adult.)
  • On a (related) note: tennis love-couple Clijsters and Hewitt have broken up. Actually, that's not telling the whole story, because apparently L'il Lley-Lley was caught completely off-guard by the out-of-the-blue phone call. Reports indicate that Kimmy just couldn't take Lleyton's meddling mother any longer. I hope those crazy kids can patch things up and get on with their February wedding as planned, cuz I still wanna see 'em played mixed together!
  • On tonight's Australian Idol, Dicko told Anthony -- yet again -- that he needs to be more masculine. Guessing (correctly) that some of his fan base includes gay men, he said (again correctly) that even gay men want to see a real man. Good on ya for gettin' it right, Dicko!
  • Indulge me in a short burst of melodrama here. Say you take the time to send a heartfelt thank you e-mail expressing some very genuine gratitude to someone. You'd like this person to continue to play a role in your life as a treasured friend. And then say that you don't get any kind of response back from them. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. How does that make you feel? I mean, it's not like we didn't have a relationship or anything. I'm not naive enough to assume that we'd be hangin'-out-all-the-time, talkin'-on-the-phone-daily best buddies or anything, but still... I guess I thought I was worth more than that, but evidently I was sadly mistaken. At least I know where I stand now and won't make false assumptions about having a friendship to worry about. That hurts.
  • And my tooth hurts, too. Good thing I get to see my dentist when I go home. I hope I can wait 'til my appointment on Nov. 22.
  • Ironic. That's the word that comes to mind thinking about Campbell's parting speech on Thursday's Playing It Straight. I'm glad he said his piece about going on the show to disprove misconceptions and to show that gay men are no different from straight men, but there's something he didn't take into account. He didn't realize that he represented gay men as scheming, deceptive and dishonest -- skills, I suppose, we learn through years spent in the closet, hiding who we really are. Although I'm glad he said something about dispelling preconceived notions and the like, it was drippingd with irony. Oh well, I'm sure I'm the only one of Channel 7's loyal viewers who actually saw Campbell's monologue, after suffering through the humiliation of having PIS taken off the air last week, then moved to no-man's-land (Thu. 11:30PM) this past week.
  • And speaking of being the only one...I'm pretty damn sure that I'm the only person who finds humour in the Telstra mobile Australian Idol-themed commercials starring "Jen" and "Rachel". Well, there may be some 13-year-old girls who like them, but I fear that they may be in denial and not recognize the irony that these ads actually chronicle their own pathetic wrapped-up-in-Australian-Idol-and-desperate-to-know-whether-Casey-or-Anthony's-gonna-win existence. And how about that bitch Jen?! She's the fat, overbearing one who totally wears the pants in that friendship, playing on Rachel's insecurities and lack of self-esteem. Oh God, insecurities and lack of self-esteem?! No! No! High School flashback!
  • Last night (after refusing to watch Gladiator) I went to Palms again for some hot, sweaty dancin' and romancin'. Again, the classics were blaring, the crowd was pumped (and, luckily, a bit better looking than last week), and my moves were on display for the masses. Luckily I consulted my Bargoing Code of Conduct prior to take-off, and refrained from (most of) the banned behaviour. Yes (I admit sheepishly), I was in direct violation of rule #19 : ) Damn, I hate that. Kinda.
  • In an earlier post, I referred to celebrity sighting #7 (Mark Hodge of Dancing With the Stars). As a public service, here are my previous celebrity sightings of the past couple of months, in chronological order: (1) Beautiful Ben Unwin from TV's Home and Away, who was my running partner one particularly fine Saturday morning with the Frontrunners; (2) ARIA winner and Dissociative Paul Mac, who I had the pleasure of serving munchies to at a rooftop patio housewarming party in Bondi; (3) the aforementioned Campbell from PIS, who I saw training a client at Rushcutters Bay Park and snacking at the Elizabeth Bay CafĂ©; (4) also from PIS, James, as he queued to get into The Colombian on the Monday after Labour Day; (5) Glenn, yet another PIS alumnus, at Palms last Saturday; (6) The stunning Andrew "Joey" Johns of NRL superstar status, wearing a sharp suit and talking on his mobile at the corner of EBay Road and Roslyn Gardens. All suitably fine specimens of manhood, yes, but Beautiful Ben has to take the cake: nice, friendly, obviously committed to fitness, verrrry handsome, and arms to get lost in. I have to admit that I started watching Home and Away after I met him : )
  • This is so pathetic, and truly illustrates how TV-dependent I can sometimes be, but....I miss watching Will and Grace (just hasn't been on at all since I've been here) and the second season of Six Feet Under (I refuse to watch the third season that's airing here until I can have a chronological progression by first seeing season #2). And this is certainly an I-can't-believe-I'm-complaining-about-this-again whine, but I'm also pissed it took so long to get the last episodes of Friends and Sex and the City (final episodes of which will probably be aired while I'm in Canada -- how ironic and pathetic). That having been said, I now feel much better. Thank you.
  • Kylie's announced that she'll be touring Australia next year, starting in May sometime. If I miss out, I'll be some pissed!
  • I wonder when Daylight Savings starts?
OK, the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home