life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Thursday, November 11, 2004

The key to being Grace?
High (but not hooker) heels

Here I am at Narita Airport on my layover between Sydney and Vancouver. Have you ever tried typing with a Japanese keyboard? Holy freakin' frustrating. But I'm dealing, more or less.....OK, not very well, to be honest.

The flight from Sydney to Tokyo was fairly uneventful, except for the fact that a few very important things were reinforced for me:

(1) There are a lot of bad movies out there. Armed with my very own personal entertainment device attached to the seat in front of me, I had access to something like 12 different movie channels! What did I watch? Bits and pieces of I, Robot, which looks like a really stupid movie. I tried watching from the start, and got frustrated. I tried watching the end, and got frustrated. I tried watching bits and pieces in the middle, and got frustrated. In the end, I watched the entire flick (in bits and pieces) and it sucked regardless of where I picked up the plot. I bet Mr. Asimov didn't have this movie in mind when he wrote his novel.

(2) There are a lot of great movies out there. In between watching dribs and drabs of Mr. Will Smith (my opinion of whom is considerably lower as a result), I watched that Hitchcock classic Rear Window, starring the amazing duo of Jimmy Stewart and the iconic Grace Kelly. Great cast, great "gimmick" (filming everything from the confines of LB Jeffries' apartment), great resultant movie. No wonder Hitchcock was considered a master: he knew how to make a flick! Highly recommended by this reviewer.

(3) I am the world's biggest suck. The other movie I watched was Father of the Bride 2, starring Steve Martin, Diane Keaton, Kimberley Williams, and that cute guy whose name I can't remember. Cute flick that has recurring themes of growing older and fighting it, the importance of family, what's truly important in life, plus a wee bit of drama and a whole lot o' humour. An innocent film to be sure -- in fact, one that I've seen before and liked. So why did I turn into the world's biggest suck and start crying? I can't even remember when or why I started, but before I knew it, I was pulling the old I-hope-nobody-sees-me-wiping-the-tears-away trick. I think I was done in by the whole theme of family and realizing what's important in life. I'm particulary susceptible to that right now, so I guess it just hit a nerve for me and I was a goner. I mean, I know I'm a total suck. I just never realized I was that much of a suck.

(4) I am so gay. So there I was, enraptured by Rear Window and thinking how Grace Kelly was just the most incredible warm-blooded creature ever to have graced (so to speak) the silver screen. If you haven't seen this movie, rent it and (if you're gay and into these things) plan your next drag outfit based on her gorgeous gowns, high (but not hooker) heels, and elbow-length gloves. That woman (or at least, her costume designer) also knows how to accessorize: beautiful wraps, handbags, jewellery, etc. I have to be honest and admit that I've never seen Grace in any other film, but she is an absolute vision in this one. And while I actually have absolutely no desire to wear her outfits (hey, I'm gay, but I'm not into drag), I am certainly faggy enough to admire the flawlessness and perfection. Whatever happened to women like her? Too bad about that whole speeding-on-the-mountain-road thing.

Now back to the reality of Narita Airport and all its finery. Did you know that there is a Mongolian Airlines? I had no idea until hearing announcements today about the departure of Mongolian Airlines flight whatever-the-hell going to some-weird-ass-city-I've-never-heard-of-before. Who knew?! And who cares, really, when you find out that you get to sit in an exit row on the upper deck for your flight to Vancouver?! How appropriate, for I do like it on top : ) Happy days!

Destination: The 'Couv. I can almost taste it now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home