life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Welcome to Canada,
home of easy men and great skiing

It's a bit numbing, this whole US election thing. I figured Bush would win another term, but still I hoped for something better, something sensible. Every American I know realizes that the guy is a doofus, an idiot, a total nimrod. I can't tell you how many bloggers I've read this morning who are devastated bewildered beside themselves hung over after drinking themselves into a stupor over yesterday's election results. Without fail, my blogger idols all seem to be planning their exodus north of the 49th parallel. Meet me in Canada: home of cheap real estate, easy men, great skiing, liberal thinking, no need for gun control, and gay marriage.

Why would such a seemingly overwhelming number of educated, knowledgeable Americans be vetoed by a slightly higher number of Americans who clearly have no clue whatsoever? Utterly baffling. I remember my intellectual friend Lorna (someone who would definitely be a lifeline if I were ever on Who Wants To Be a Millionaire) telling me of her internal torture in trying to have intelligent conversations with fellow Atlantans, and having to deal with the lemming mentality, the we-support-our-President-even-if-he's-wrong-simply-because-he's-our-President thinking, the you're-talkin'-like-some-crazy-north-ass-liberal accusations, and the he-gosh-darn-has-to-be-right-because-he's-our-leader illusion. For someone as smart and outspoken as Lorna, it must be a real challenge to keep some of her "crazy-north-ass-liberal" thinking to herself in light of yesterday's results. Stay strong, girl!

Oh well, only something along the lines of 1460 days until Dubya is out on his dumb ass and back on the farm. I'm sure it'll go quickly. And ya know what? Four years isn't that long a time. Hell, things weren't that different in my life 4 short years ago:

  • 4 years ago today I was happy in my new job as eCommerce Product Manager. Today: no comment. Better off: 4 years ago.
  • 4 years ago today I was living in an amazing one-bedroom apartment overlooking Vancouver's English Bay. Today: small studio pad overlooking Rushcutters Bay Park. Better off: 4 years ago.
  • 4 years ago today I was going out with a guy named Mike. Today: single. Better off: toss up, to be honest.
  • 4 years ago today Suzie and I weren't on the best of terms and I feared our friendship may be over. Today: we've weathered storms, but she's still my best friend and I get to see her in a week! Better off: today, definitely!
  • 4 years ago today I was driving my navy blue Suzuki Swift 4-door Touring Sedan. Today: I'm car-less. Better off: 4 years ago.
  • 4 years ago today I was 33 years old. Today: I'm a "seasoned" 37. Better off: well, I've grown wiser over the past 4 years, so I guess the nod goes to today.

See, not too much has changed, and 4 years doesn't seem like that long ago : ) Then again, a mere 2 years ago yesterday I met M for the very first time. For so many reasons, that seems like forever ago. Today: I'm not sure if we're even friends. Better off: 2 years ago, despite the ensuing frustrations.

Seems like all the cool kids want to be Canadian today. And who can blame them?! We rock!

1 Comments:

  • I am so much better off now than I was four years go. However, I want to continue the upward trend of happiness, which I think I can do better somewhere outside the US. Canada sounds good, although some place more temperate would be lurvely.

    I love me some Canadia.

    Glenn
    glennalicious.org

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:45 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home