life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Thursday, July 21, 2005

My Canada includes Brackendale

July 21: a great day cuz it was a day off. I relaxed and did everything I wanted to, except going for a run. But watching a story summary of Lost just made me even more eager to see the last few episodes of the season. They showed a sneak preview: could it be possible that they shoot/kill John Locke?! I'm all acquiver!

July 22: jeepers, it's all happening today! Birthdays and celebrations galore. Yippee!!

Let's see:

  • Cindy's birthday (39). Cindy is, quite simply, one of my best friends and the one person I talk regularly about track and field with. Other than me, nobody else could be as thrilled as Cindy at hearing me on my mobile phone in Edmonton, calling the action live to Cindy in Vancouver as Diane Cummins made her unbelievable breakthrough to finish 5th at the 2001 World Championships. Other than me, nobody else could be as devastated as Cindy when Perdita crashed into the first hurdle in Athens. I love sharing that special bond with Cindy. And she has way more grey hair than I do : )
  • Tri Guy's birthday (also 39). Coincidentally, Tri Guy is the other person to whom I can talk track and not get blank stares. Tri Guy shares the same birthday as Cindy, they both competed in track in Alberta at the same time in the '80's, and I'm convinced they they knew each other and competed on occasion. That theory is yet to be proven, however. Regardless, Tri Guy is someone for whom I traveled to New Zealand to watch him finish his first-ever Ironman Triathlon, just because I really wanted to support him in that triumph. He's the fittest person I've ever known personally, and I marvel at his commitment. The fact that he's a bit crazy doesn't hurt, either : ) Who else would cycle from Calgary to the Arctic Circle just because they had a few days to kill?! I've known Tri Guy since we were 4 or 5 years old and taking organ lessons together. Can that mean it's been 35 years? Oh dear. I may need a cocktail now.
  • The Brackendale Couple's anniversary (can it really be 10 years already?!). Even though they no longer live in Brackendale, my Canada will always include Brackendale and my circle of friends will always include this warped Pole and his beautiful Cinnamon Girl. They're such great people, such dedicated parents, and just overall fun. A couple of minutes with these two and we're automatically transported back to those crazy days at Wildwood Lodge (vomit episodes intentionally left out).
  • My anniversary (16 years). Yup, you read it right. It was on July 22, 1989 that I skied on the Blackcomb Glacier in Summer and had the time of my life, the most amazing experience ever in my 22 years to that point. It was the impetus for my move to Whistler 2+ years later, a decision that taught me more about myself than anything else ever could. It set me on a career path, it hooked me up with a company that I loved for 11+ years, and it made me the person I am today -- warts and all : ) You look at those monumental events in your life and wonder what would have happened if they never happened? In this case, I shudder to think.

Wow, how can so much happiness be derived from one simple day? Happy 39th Birthdays Cindy and Tri Guy. Happy 10th Anniversary Brackendale Couple! Happy 16th Anniversary me!

1 Comments:

  • You're making us blush! We were away for the weekend (visiting friends from Japan in Buffalo!) but I fully expected to see a note from you marking our anniversary. But a blog entry?! Wow!

    Yeah, you can take the boy out of Brackendale...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:48 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home