life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Six cities ago

As it turns out, the excitement capital of the midwest was beyond even me. Lucky and Tower Girl went out for dinner with the rest of their department, while I chilled at home. Instead of taking my much-needed disco nap, I just puttered around on the internet and frittered away a few hours. I eventually started to drift off, but it was more of a it's-time-to-start-thinking-about-going-to-bed weariness than a just-a-short-nap-before-going-out kinda thing. By the time Lucky and Tower Girl got home, it was pretty late and fairly unlikely that any of us were going anywhere.

While puttering around in their absence, I watched a fascinating documentary on the Katrina disaster, where people were shifting blame and complaining about the lack of federal response, telling hero stories and describing the complete chaos that reigned. We were in Singapore at the time -- struggling with Set Up-- so news of the outside world was a mere blip on the radar, and I just didn't get the full picture back then. But watching this documentary helped fill in some of the gaps, and certainly helped explain why so many people were so freakin' furious about the circus that is/was FEMA.

Having taken a first-hand look back in April at the devastation of New Orleans -- including seeing a crippled Superdome, as you can kinda see by the darkened patch of wrecked roof on the right side of the dome in the picture above -- I was particularly interested in learning some more about how everything went down back then. It's hard to believe that it's a year ago already. More importantly for me, can Singapore really be six cities ago?! Oh dear.

Today is my mid-Set Up day off -- a new phenomenon that started in Ottawa, and that makes me verrrry happy. On tap for today? I need to organize this hurricane of crap that has littered my room and made it impossible to see the floor. Then, tonight The Hire Guy, Lucky, Tower Girl and me are going to watch the Reds play a home game.

So maybe last night the excitement capital of the midwest was a bit beyond this old fella. But today, I'll drag my sorry ol' ass out there and see what's about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home