life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Friday, August 11, 2006

Borders

The Gay Village in all its multicoloured glory (Montreal, August/2006)

I like this picture, just because it shows how much fun and spirit Montreal's Gay Village demonstrated. The streets became pedestrian corridors, people were everywhere, the vibe was fresh, the testosterone was intoxicating. And just to be a part of the majority, for a change, was way fun.

So imagine how gay men and women from around the world might have reacted. People who come from places where homosexuality is outlawed; places where they can't be out; places where they may feel like the only gay person around; places where same-sex hand-holding would never cut it; places where their mere participation in an event like the Outgames would be severely punishable, had it been known to "the authorities back home."

These people might feel a bit overwhelmed; intimidated even. But hopefully they got to see a society where it's bordering on the acceptable to see two men walk hand in hand down the street. Or to see a couple of men in buttless chaps and leather harnesses playing out a mild master/slave scenario on the street.

OK, OK, so maybe I'm not even ready to see that every day : )

But let's be honest about seeing two men holding hands on the street: such an insignificant and unobtrusive gesture that shouldn't bother anyone and, certainly, is nobody else's business. In certain parts of certain cities, I will hold someone's hand and feel all comfortably coupled. But I certainly don't feel like I can do that everywhere, and perhaps that's my own issue. There are times when I tend to be bold in that respect while, at other times, I can be a bit cowardy. And that stems from the fact that this simple gesture can clearly offend some people, as I've experienced first-hand as the recipient of uncomfortable looks and near-aggressive behaviour. Yup, this kind of "deviant" behaviour only borders on the acceptable here in Canada. Still, I feel like I get a glimpse into how it could be in this country when I'm feeling all bold and activist-empowered enough to hold the hand of another man.

Note: now, if only I could find someone to hold hands with on a regular basis, I'd be able to continue to test this theory!!

I wonder how those other people reacted to being amidst all this militant gay-agenda-pushing behaviour in Montreal. It's liberating to be in the majority, and I wonder whether some of them will go home changed people; people who wonder what if? about their own countries. Even when you're back to being a minority, you can become a catalyst for change.

So maybe I'll become the catalyst for my own change; for my own insecurity. I'll just suck it up and feel comfortably coupled by holding the hand of whatever hot man I'm walking beside.

Well, provided he's not just some random stranger with a nice ass that I followed out of a corner store.

1 Comments:

  • Informative article, I bought my first leather cowboy chaps from LEATHER BABA Brand leatherbaba.com/leather-cha..., and that was fantastic experience with them, their product quality was awesome.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:14 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home