life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Me and the Olympic champion

Bruny Surin, 1996 Olympic champion in the 4x100m relay, and me (Aug/2006)

So there he was. Bruny freakin' Surin! Just standing there, all on his own, waiting to be called up to do some medal presentations. This guy is a legend -- Olympic champion, twice world champion, twice world championship silver medallist, world championship bronze medallist, twice world indoor champion.

And nobody even recognized him!

I walked my ass over there, introduced myself, and had my picture taken with him. And he was very gracious. Then, 5 minutes later, he presented me with my silver medal for High Jump. Then, 5 more minutes later, he presented me with my gold medal for Shot Put. And said, "Congratulations....again. You were obviously a busy guy."

Hangin' out with Olympic champions. Yup, that's me. Rubbing shoulders with the rich, the famous, and the decorated.

2 Comments:

  • Wow, that's cool you got a pic with him. And I can't believe I missed you with your Canada cape and all. I wouldve noticed that. Still there were a bazillion people there.

    By Blogger tornwordo, at 6:22 a.m.  

  • That's horrible that no one recognized Bruny.

    I saw him once (briefly) and also met Mark (when I was a university student and I got to touch it, and everything - his medal, I mean).

    By Blogger S, at 7:03 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home