life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

...with disco music!

Well, Montreal has been an absolute blast thus far. Starting with a night out with my awesome Vancouver crew, it has just grown and grown in fun factor.

In a nutshell...

  • The Opening Ceremonies were stunning. I've never been more proud to say I work for this company, because they put on a stunning and spectacular demonstration of what makes it unique. Plus the other performances were really great. And any Ceremony that features Martina Navratilova in a very visible and prominent role is OK in my books -- having her and Mark Tewksbury recite the mission of the Games was really well done.
  • The track competiton has been absolutely first rate. The officials are the best officials you could hope for -- with stunning commitment to what they do, all the while demonstrating such a great sense of humour to help us old farts make it through our events.

  • I had some great results and some not-as-good results in my events, but overall I'm just happy to have the chance to compete. I thrive on competition, and track is my passion, so it's been way too much fun. My events on Day #1: decathlon 100m, dec long jump, dec high jump, open discus final, dec shot put, dec 400m. My events on Day #2: decathlon 110m hurdles, dec discus, dec pole vault, dec javelin, dec 1500m. My events on Day #3: open long jump final. My events on Day #4: open shot put final, open high jump final. Needless to day, my body was wrecked at the end of Day #1, but I soldiered on and finished the decathlon, plus all my individual events. I have made a decision, however, that this will be my last decathlon. I'm disappointed to have to compete in my individual events after the decathlon is over, and after my legs are totally shot. In my open long jump final, for instance, I withdrew after 3 jumps because I would have seriously risked injury if I had tried to go on. Similarly, in my open high jump final, I took only one jump -- the one jump I needed to take home a medal : ) Then I withdrew to save myself from hurting myself even further. This old body doesn't need that kind of punishment, so no more decathlons. In future, I'll stick to individual events and enjoy them more!
  • The city is amazing. Montreal is so receptive to all of the athletes, and it's made itself into this huge set of open arms. I love the fact that my athlete accreditation gives me free public transport, and that the Gay Village is blocked off to vehicular traffic so that everyone can just walk in the street. Awesome environment, spectacular vibe!
  • The men: stunning. Obviously, athletes are a slightly fitter bunch, but it's not just the athletes from all around the world that I'm talking about. Montreal men are, by definition, the most sexy around. It's heaven.
  • I'm finished competition now, so it's just a matter of having fun and partying until I leave here on Tuesday. Bring it on!
  • Oh ya, and there's the small matter of all the hardware I won. Final tally: GOLD in discus (2nd for all competitors, 1st in my age category), GOLD in shot put (2nd overall, 1st in my age), SILVER in decathlon (4th overall, 2nd in my age), SILVER in high jump (4th or 5th overall, 2nd in my age). Two gold and two silver medals in 5 events. I think I'm OK with that.

I haven't had access to internet until now, so please pardon me for the lateness of my updates. I've just been a bit too busy.

I sent a text to Tower Girl after I won my first medals, and she asked me if it was just like the Olympics. It's better: it's like the Olympics with disco music!

6 Comments:

  • Congratulations.

    It must feel amazing to be rewarded with these medals after your hard work.

    I'm feeling a little tired after reading all the events you participated in.

    Must lie down...

    By Blogger S, at 7:41 a.m.  

  • Yay, congrats on the medals. It's been a party all week long hasn't it?

    Hope you enjoy the rest of your visit. You must watch the drag show with Mado on Saturday night "Boulevard de Reves" - it is a great show that they will set up on Berri ave. (After the closing ceremony)

    By Blogger tornwordo, at 9:11 a.m.  

  • Great job! Now go and enjoy some of the other events like endurance partying. I'm sure you'll get another gold medal for that!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:19 a.m.  

  • Congrats! But how the hell did you finish a decathalon??? When did you train for it? Glad you're having a good time. Hey - check your emails - I sent you an evite to a scaryredwinegirl's baby shower...love ya!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:37 p.m.  

  • You never cease to amaze me! Have fun and be sure to wear that medal haul - I hear it's a magnet for fans ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:16 p.m.  

  • "Just like the Olympics with disco music"

    Fantastic! I love it!

    Congratulations on all your performances Jeff. Montreal was a fantastic event and it was special to be part of it. It was even better to meet more interesting people from all over the world. The one big regret was that there was SO much going on, you had to triage what you were going to miss!

    By Blogger MB, at 3:21 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home