life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Top of the Rankings

Sure, there are some rankings we're proud of. For instance, Vancouver has often finished in the top 3 in studies that determine the best cities in the world in which to live.

According to Mercer Consulting, Vancouver is the #3 city in the world for quality of life in both 2006 and 2007, both times behind the dynamic Swiss duo of Geneva and Zurich. I haven't been to Geneva, but totally loved Zurich, by the way. Just for a point of reference....

Alterntively, if you prefer to believe the Economist Intelligence Unit, Vancouver is at the top of the list -- ahead of Geneva, Vienna in Austria, and beautiful Melbourne, Australia. Ahhh, Melbourne. Love it love it love it! And Lucky is there right now! Just. A. Bit. Jealous.

I keep saying this is the best place in the world to live, and these rankings support that belief. But add another top ranking to the list and some of the luster comes off our perennial gold rankings statuette.

On tonight's newshour, I was not all that surprised to hear that Vancouver has the highest gas prices in North America. Ugh. Hovering around $1.27 per litre, it's ugly -- ain't probably ain't gettin' better anytime soon. Apparently, we're getting gouged -- not shit, Sherlock!! -- and the actual price of gas that the petroleum companies should be charging us is right around $1.00 per litre. Sure it's still high (sigh, I remember the Summer of 2003, when I nearly gagged at the thought of going above 80 cents per litre!), but is a bit more palatable.

Oh, I suppose it could be worse. I don't drive my car much, for which I am thankful. So hearing a reporter on the newshour saying the following made me dirty my diaper thank my lucky stars:

"Let's look at a typical scenario here. If you spend $100 a week in gas -- and I know that doesn't sound like much; you probably spend considerably more -- you'd save $22 a week if gas prices were where they should be -- around $1.00 a litre -- instead of up at $1.27."

Oh my dog! $100 a week in gas, or more?!?! Since moving home last October, I've spent, on average, $50 per month in gas. That includes a few trips to Whistler and the odd trip to Burnaby to visit my Aunt, a few airport trips, the occasional trip to volleyball, and not much else. And here I was the other day cursing the fact that it cost me $61 to fill my tank. At least I won't have to fill up for another month or so!

Thank goodness I ain't no daily commuter. But, personal desires aside, I sure wish Vancouver wasn't at the top of the rankings list when it comes to the highest gas prices in North America. For once, we're happy to be way down the list!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home