life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Honkers

Just got back from tasting food with our caterer for our Hong Kong run in November and December. And then he showed me around Hong Kong and took me to dinner and got me drunk dropped me off at my hotel so I could blog about it.

Hong Kong. Let's see. In a few descriptive words, I'd describe it as: lush, steamy, and way-less-manicured than Singapore. Like Singers, it's a strange juxtaposition of new and old, rich and poor, big and small, have and have-not. Like Singers, it's a whole bunch of people packed into a fairly small area. Like Singers, it's a bit unlike what I was expecting.

Also like Singers, it's been 31C and humid. But it's also been pouring so hard I swear I saw Moses and a bunch of ferral beasts I wondered about the potential for landslides. Because, you see, this is a city state (actually, officially it's a Special Administrative Region of the Chinese Government) that makes ultimate use of very limited space. They build up (very tall buildings, and I mean LOTS of 'em), they build over (my tour guide pointed out to me tons of land that has been reclaimed from the sea -- which means basically that they've made land where there was none before), and they build on ("on" meaning on the sides of mountains). I was looking at many of the honkin' big structures build up the sides of said mountains and wondered whether they were safe, considering the deluge, but figured if the residents weren't gonna worry about it, I certainly wouldn't either.

Still, it made me a tad scared.

The hotel I'm staying at is the same one that we'll be staying at when the entire troupe is here in a few months. And yes, I did say hotel and not serviced apartment, because it's one helluva hotel! Holy ultra-modern, Batman! I took pictures that I'll try and post when I can download them. In the meantime, imagine me lounging on my uber-luxurious bed, remote control in hand, watching the honkin' big flat screen TV on the wall directly in front of me. Not so bad, eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home