life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The Drunken Sailor

So, as it happens, finding accommodation in Koh Samui is really not a problem at all. As I suspected hoped, Christmas Carol and I were presented at the airport by a Central Reservations desk that gave us all sorts of options. In the end, we settled for a nice place called Samui Resortel, at the south end of the Chaweng strip. We were a bit concerned about the noise from Chaweng, but it's actually perfect because we're just off the busy part of the strip and yet still have a 10-steps-to-the-beachfront bungalow. And the ocean water is startingly warm.

The prices here kill me. We're paying some ridiculously paltry amount for the accommodation, and it's pretty respectable. There's a pool that's pretty sleek -- picture the pooldeck in Kylie's Slow video -- and we went for a dip after going out for "just one drink" last night. As often happens with me, that one drink turned into five or six, but we had a great time getting to know each other a bit better. Christmas Carol is a colleague of mine who I've really liked from Day One, but the truth is that I don't really know her all that well. Last night we drank and chatted and played board games while a pretty dreadful singer belted out Axel Rose, Led Zep, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd and more. Tragic, yet comical at the same time. Just like the husband-and-wife duo "entertaining" us at dinner tonight (picture Tex and Edna Boyle with Thai features), the marginal command of English made for some pretty amusing song interpretations.

Anyways, we had our 3AM swim last night and then slept through our complimentary breakfast this morning. But, boy oh boy, was it ever good to sleep in! And, boy oh boy, was it ever fun to then rent scooters and circumnavigate the entire island. My tan is sharp, my energy is high, and my knowledge of this island is much greater after our 6-hour odyssey.

But alas, Priscilla, we looked and looked and looked for the Drunken Sailor Bar at Lamai, but had no luck. Fuck, there are a lot of bars at Lamai!! I'm going to try and get my hands on a phone directory to get some guidance, because a web search for that name only turned up lyrics to the song : (

After dinner tonight, I did another first: I had a foot massage. Let's just say that my polite Thai masseuse ended up surprising me by taking a few liberties. Since when, for instance, did "foot massage" include traveling above the knee? I really don't recall asking for a all-around-the-crotch-area-but-not-exactly-touching-it massage, but there was no extra charge. So what -- I'm gonna argue?

I'm out on the Chaweng strip, doing some web surfing before heading out for a drink. Tomorrow, it's a wee spot of shopping -- just to see what's out there. Hopefully tomorrow night will see me at the Drunken Sailor....maybe even picking up a drunken sailor : )

But for now, it's good night from Thailand, where I've just seen the most gorgeous man doing a lingering look at me for longer than any straight man ever would. Gotta run!!

1 Comments:

  • Hope you found a sailor, and you probably shouldn't have asked for a foot massage with a happy ending....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:36 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home