life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Until today

I hadn't had a single sip of Diet Coke since August 19. Until today.

Anyone who really knows me understands the gravity of that statement -- Diet Coke being the nectar of the gods to me. But since leaving Vancouver, all that's been available to me in Singapore is Coke Light, and I haven't indulged. After all, it just ain't the same. And anyone who travels abroad and relies on DC as their crutch enjoys a sip of DC as much as me, might also subconsciously do the same thing that I do: categorize countries as either "Diet Coke" countries or "Coke Light" countries.

Canada and the States: Diet Coke kids

Australia: ditto

Singapore, Japan, many European countries (if I recall correctly in my limited travels to the UK, Germany and Switzerland): Coke Light losers

But Bali is a weird one, cuz both Diet Coke and Coke Light are sold here. So what could I do except disregard the last 6 weeks spent kicking my Diet Coke addiction in Singapore and guzzle a big 1.5 litre bottle of the good stuff today? Gaaawwwwwwd, was it ever good. And I make no apologies about it, cuz Diet Coke kicks Coke Light's sorry ass!

And also....

  • I hadn't ever ridden on the back of a motorbike. Until today.
  • I hadn't ever had someone massage me and then shower me with this nifty overhead elongated showerhead thingy while I still lay on the massage table. Until today.
  • I hadn't ever bartered with a Balinese shop owner. Until today.
  • I hadn't ever single-handedly supported the Balinese economy by purchasing tons of things I can do without cool stuff. Until today.
  • I hadn't ever listened to a French guy extoll the virtues of Celine Dion's French-language songs over the "English-language screaming" versions. Until today.
  • I hadn't ever seen so many people in absolutely gorgeous traditional Balinese dress as they waited outside their temples to celebrate the most holy of Balinese holidays (the equivalent of Christmas for them). Until today.
  • I hadn't ever realized how much I reallllly hate having every single taksi honk it's horn as it passes me in the street, in hopes that I hadn't seen him and was desperate for a ride. Until today.

Today was another great day in Bali. This place should be high on everyone's list of vacation spots. Don't let terrorism win: please consider Bali as your next vacation destination.

1 Comments:

  • Many good reasons to travel to Bali, however knowing that they have Diet Coke certainly increases their cache. Glad you're having a good time. Try to get to Ubud. We spent some time there and it was really cool. Monkey forest, Shadow puppet plays, dancing and cultural demonstrations.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:30 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home