life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Back in Bangers for beaucoup de bargains

It's amazing just how cheap the street shopping is in Bangkok. You can walk among the vendors of the filthy, overcrowded, no-place-to-let-your-kids-run-amongst-it-all lanes and alleys of Bangkok and get nearly anything you need.

Need a pair of knock-off designer jeans/sunglasses/shoes/anything? They got it. How 'bout a fake designer watch/tie/handbag/logo shirt/anything? Natch. Searching for that new chart-topping CD or just-released-in-theatres DVD? Bangers is your place. And it just goes on and on.

Now, I'm not one for designer goods -- authentic or otherwise -- but it's hard not to think how easy it would be to look like a complete poser a million bucks by picking up some of this crap. In fact, it wasn't hard to see the bastiens of middle America lappin' it all up. I can just hear Mrs. Sylvia Saddlebags talkin' lying to her neighbour back home in Topeka, Kansas: "Oh ya, Edna, it's an authentic designer Looo-is Vooo-tawn handbag that I picked up. My husband Morty is very good to me."

Nope, that ain't my game. Instead, I opt for the cache of goods that aren't designer rip-offs. Consider that I picked up a neat bundle of 3 silk ties for the equivalent of $6 Canadian. They aren't rip-offs of any famous designer or anything like that, just good quality, 100% silk, beautiful ties that will probably sit in my sock drawer cuz I don't wear ties anymore will look nice with a crisp dress shirt.

The whole Bangers atmosphere is surreal. The crowds, the heat and humidity, the pollution -- oy, the pollution!! -- and the Asian mystique. While I didn't see a ping pong show in some cheap girly bar, I did have the displeasure of watching an interesting "cabaret" show put on by a plethora of underfed Thai boys in a way-at-the-end-of-a-drk-alley dive bar. The show started with an onstage parade of clones in matching white outfits, all for the benefit of the creepy men in the audience to pick out a favourite boy to be their viewing companion for the remainder of the evening. Ick. And the "entertainment" continued with a candle-and-wax dance, a traditional Thai dance (actually the traditional choreography and costumes were stunning), followed by a very unique naked water ballet number,and finishing up with a live sex act that started onstage and moved into the audience.

It was about that time that I gracefully made my exit. While I felt that I had to at least take in some of the seedy nightlife of Bangkok, on that level it's just not erotic.

I flew from Bangers to Phuket this morning, arriving at Patong Beach to find free internet in my hotel room. Hence this post, and (hopefully) a few more to come while I'm here.

Now excuse me while I go outside and explore this place!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home