life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Monday, March 13, 2006

87 hours

It was a long day yesterday -- the last day of the week. Doing my timesheet, I realized why I've been so damn exhausted: I worked 87 hours this week! And when I used to work for Blackcomb, I used to work these kinds of weeks regularly in the lead-up to opening day. The difference, of course, was that those weeks were sittin'-at-my-desk-and-plugging-away-at-POS-and-operational-procedures stuff, whereas this past week was a mix of physical labour, supplier negotiation, staff training, supply sourcing and purchasing, flower arranging, electrical planning, party hosting, show call, and so many other things. It's such an eclectic mix of things that I have to do as part of my job (particularly during Set Up) that I sometimes wish that I could focus on one or two of them and feel like I'm doing a really good job. Instead, I have to spread myself too thin and feel like I'm doing an adequate job of each one.

Well, to be clear, I think I did a fabulous job overall. I'm more proud of my hospitality suite than ever before, and I heard several times from a few of my new staff that I was the nicest supervisor they've ever had. Wow! The first time I heard it, I was very taken aback and responded, "But I've been such a bitch this week!" But they said that if this was my bitchy mode, then they were really looking forward to working with me for the next few weeks. Sweet!! And yesterday, as I would do my rounds to check on the staff as they manned their positions during show call, one of them said to me, "Yup, I'm all over it. You can count on me to do the job right. You've taught us all very well."

Well, if that didn't bust my buttons : ) And the catering manager for our on-site caterer (the guy who will be following us around the continent and working with us in a total of 5 cities this year) came up to me and said that he was amazed at how much I did. "I was wondering how you got everything done on your own (ie. after losing my supervisor, Nurse Girl) and now I know: it's because you do it all. You obviously take pride in making this place as good as it can be."

And that compliment had me grinning from ear to ear, cuz I'm concerned that my job is being eliminated, and I may need to use my network of contacts to plot my next course..... But that's a whole 'nother post.


Yes, I did make it to the milestone. I was expecting a phone call to organize a few drinks with new friends. It never came, and that was just fine. I was so tired that I just fell asleep in front of the TV on my king-sized bed. And then I woke up for a bit. And guzzled a Cherry Diet Coke and a big bag of Peanut M&M's. And then I dozed off again. But work up again and enjoyed another Cherry Diet Coke. And then settled down to watch an old rerun of Will and Grace. And then I finally went to bed for good. Not the exciting First Sunday that I would have expected. But then again, I've never worked 87 hours during a Set Up week before. I'm forgiven.

Unfortunately, the only thing I wanted today (a sleep-in) didn't happen. I was awake at 7AM. Damn. But today I'm heading to LA with Tower Girl, Lucky, and the Coach. Not sure what we're doing, but I think we'll do a hike in Runyan Canyon and find somewhere to have a coffee, then do some sightseeing and have dinner somewhere. Should be fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home