life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Friday, March 24, 2006

Pointed questions and honest answers

My chat with Functional Guy was good. I asked some pointed questions and got some (hopefully) honest answers. Specifically, I was anticipating some developments happening in about eight or 12 months that may have proven incongruous with my continuing in my current role, but he told me otherwise and assured me that the scenario I was worried about wasn't in the plans. There are still some things that are yet to be finalized as we progress through a restructuring that took effect last month, but overall I'm happy with what I heard.

I was also honest about how the changes, resulting from the same restructuring, have changed the focus of my job. Whereas previously I felt that I enjoyed an even split of strategic planning responsibilities and day-to-day, tactical operational tasks, my job has definitely morphed into a tactics-heavy role. If that's the natural evolution of the job, I'm OK with that. I just wanted Functional Guy to understand that this change in focus would preclude my ability to continue providing deliverables (in the form of reports and strategic planning input) that I used to reel off at will on a regular basis. Functional Guy was cool with that, and made it clear that Montreal understood that this would be the case when the restructuring took effect last month.

So where do I stand? Well, I still absolutely love my job. I still love this company. I'm incredibly proud of the product we put out. I'm incredibly proud of the experience that I'm directly responsible for delivering. I'm happy with the way my company treats me. I'm stoked that I can have a direct and very positive effect on the guest experience each and every day. I'm happy that I'm able to see a future with this company that looks rosy and full of potential. I'm incredibly happy to have some very good friends around me. I'm happy that I appear to have people in decision-making positions who support me and my future development. And I'm happy that I felt comfortable enough to talk openly and honestly with Functional Guy about my concerns.

But I'm not happy about the fact that I haven't seen a single second of Commonwealth Games coverage. Still, that's a completely unrelated topic most suited for a separate rant post.

2 Comments:

  • Unfortunately no coverage on the news here either. Too bad because despite not sweeping gold on the podium, he's been on fire! (and looking mighty fine too)
    http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/sports/story.html?id=411cea43-4d56-479e-a25e-30203610cbf6&k=97703

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:00 p.m.  

  • Mmmmmmmm! Thanks, Muffin. I always appreciate Alex's very substantial....talent!

    By Blogger just call me jeff, at 1:14 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home