life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

I'll take "80's TV shows"
for $1000 please, Alex

After yesterday's post, I took a step back and then gave my head a bit of a shake. It's up to me -- cuz there ain't nobody else who's gonna do it for me -- to keep living life large. So I took stock, consulted my notes, realized there are still some things on the must-do-before-I-leave-Sydney list, and got at 'em. Anyone interested in seeing Carmen at the Sydney Opera House on Tuesday night?!

I also did something new last night: pub trivia! The queen of all things trivial plays quite often, but I think it's mostly to have an excuse to go to the bar. Shockingly, I'd never played before, which is mind-boggling given my inherent grasp of all things useless and moronic! Admittedly, pub trivia is far less advanced here than in North America, where I believe it's all computerized and linked with other bars and stuff. Here, you have to actually write down your answers and manually correct them yourself. It was like Grade 5 all over again! Luckily we had a Grade 5 teacher in our midst : )

  • Round 1: general trivia. We scored a decent 21 out of a possible 27 and felt pretty good.
  • Round 2: 80's TV shows. Well, hellllloooooo! Very few people can compete with me in this category -- all of you bloggers out there excepted, of course -- and so I spearheaded our team to a perfect 15 for 15. And although I didn't consider it too noteworthy, my team seemed quite blown away by the fact that I knew Punky Brewster, ALF, and The Greatest American Hero. For me, just another day at the office : )
  • Score after Round 2: 36 out of 42. This put us in 3rd place, a mere 3.5 points behind the leaders. But we were on a roll!
  • Round 3: general trivia. We didn't do so hot in this round, managing only 13.5 out of a possible 20. Our hopes dashed, we could only hope for salvation in the 4th and final round...
  • Round 4: autobiographies/memoirs. I pretty much put up my hands in defeat (cuz I am such a non-reader, unless you count Track and Field and gay magazines). Surprisingly, however, we (including substantial contributions from me) did the unthinkable and again recorded a perfect 15 out of 15. Now for nailbiting time...
  • The final results: 64.5 out of a possible 77. The winners recorded 65, so they took top honours and we were narrowly nudged into second place.

We were extremely proud of our wee team of 4 (as compared to the winning team of 8 -- count 'em, 8!!! -- players) -- especially since we were all first-timers! We came out with $30 in Booze Bucks, and we'll be heading back next week for our revenge, and to use our winnings to finance a mere fraction of our bar bill part of our evening. But we'll be missing one of our players, so I'm hoping Luscious Lorna can fly in for the occasion. Or at least be available via conference call?

2 Comments:

  • Oooh, I love pub trivia! It's my favourite and I haven't played in ages. Tuesday you say? Let me see what I can do.
    During the ice storm in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago my neighbors invited me over to play board games since no one could get anywhere. The game we played was actually called 'The 80's'! Of course, you may be the inventor of the game so it probably isn't news to you. Of course I won. It was my prowess on questions like 'Name of the actress that played Eden Capwell on daytime soap Santa Barabara' that cinched it for me.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:12 a.m.  

  • Isn't Punky Brewster's other name She Who Should Not Be Named? ;)

    By Blogger Jef, at 6:35 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home