life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Eureka!

I hit the California border at 4:30PM, after fighting the winds and rain of Oregon. My Jeep is a soft top, and the heavy winds made me feel as if my canvas top was going to detach and fly away. When passing 18-wheelers, I would just brace for the worst, grip the steering wheel with all my might, and hang on until the gale force winds were over and I was clear of the big beast. Adrenalin-inducing stuff!

Happily, once I hit California, things were much better. No wind, less rain, and an awareness that I was in the state I'll call home for the next 3+ months. Although it was dark for most of my drive from the border to my final destination -- Eureka, in northern California -- it was still cool to catch glimpses of the ocean on my right-hand side at times, and some honkin' big redwoods on either sides of the highway at other times. At Grants Pass, Oregon, I had made the decision to head to the coast instead of sticking with the I-5. Despite all the heavy flooding of recent weeks, I had no problems at all. The roads that were closed as recently as last week were open and ready for Jeremiah and I. I'm glad I made that decision to move coast-side.

Today, it's southward-bound again. Who knows how far I'll get, but the knowledge that I still have 3 days to get to San Diego means I have options.

And options are always good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home