life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

"Our people are our biggest asset"

The job interview was...interesting. I don't think I'm gonna get it, which is a bit of a drag. I know this because, towards the end of the interview, I asked the hiring lady if I fit the profile of who she was seeking.

She told me I was very strong on one side of the skill set, while there were other applicants who were much stronger on the other side. I would be a great fit with the company, and she stressed that cultural fit is an incredibly important factor in her decision. "Our people," she said, "are our biggest asset."

And then she did something a bit unusual: she said that she was also looking for someone to fill a different vacancy in her department. Perhaps I'd be interested in that position, seeing as it called for many of the skills I bring to the table? She printed out the job description and suggested that, if I were interested, to send her a quick e-mail to that effect.

To be honest, the job is a bit junior for someone of my advanced age calibre. Still, it would give me an opportunity to learn some new things, would afford me the chance to get into this company (which greatly interests me), and would be an all-round good thing.

I thought about it. I sent her that e-mail. I said "Please consider me." She sent one back saying I'm in the running for both positions.

Fingers crossed. Still.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home