life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

IDAHO

I have a funny shirt that I bought for a whopping $5 in Philadelphia. It has a map of the state of Idaho, with the caption:

Idaho? No, U da ho!

It's a funny shirt, but not representative of the IDAHO of which I've recently become aware.

IDAHO is International Day Against Homophobia, and has been celebrated every May 17th since 2003. I only became aware of it today, so I'm (somewhat belatedly) doing my part to raise awareness and try to eradicate homophobia.

  • Remember how you complained to your spouse about declining property values when that dyke couple moved in next door?
  • How about the snide comment you made to your cubicle-mate when you found out the guy who works in Accounting is a fag?
  • What were you really thinking when your niece came out as a lesbian?
  • Did you think we couldn't see your disgust as you sneered at the Pride Parade on the 6:00 news, with all those drag queens in full over-the-top regalia?
  • Have you ever considered why the simple comment "That's so gay" refers to something stupid or undesirable? And how about the feeling of degradation at being associated with something stupid or undesirable for someone who actually is gay?

If none of these reflect who you are, then bravo! On the other hand, if some of these ring true.....if they hit a little too close to home.....if you didn't realize they were hurtful.....then you may have some work to do.

Nobody's perfect -- and I'm far from it, that's for absolute certain!! In fact, the gay community can be just as bitchy and backstabbing as anyone else towards their own. But, for all of us, being aware of our behaviour might be one way to recognize that we can change it.

I love people for who they are. But sometimes, I don't like what they say. Sometimes I don't feel comfortable with what they do. And sometimes I'm made to feel less of a person because of it.

Please take a few minutes to think. IDAHO is today, and today can be the first day during which we can all start to form new, and less hurtful, habits.

Thank you for your time.

4 Comments:

  • Have a great time this weekend in Vegas - Im sure you will see Julia and Justin so please pass on a huge hello!

    I do recall that little t-shirt shop on South St... oh the memories... your note has definitely made me think and I will be passing along the message to all I come across.

    Have a great time in Vegas again.... and dont forget to "Shake it!!"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:26 a.m.  

  • Tower Girl! I will indeed see my Ladybug and her Monkey Boy, and will pass along your hellos. I've already been told that Cherry Vodka has been purchased, and is chilling in anticipation of my arrival!!!


    Thanks for listening to my little plea for IDAHO, and don't you worry about my shaking it in Vegas -- consider it done!!

    By Blogger just call me jeff, at 7:17 a.m.  

  • oh my god i want cherry vodka right now!!! ohhh so so jealous! I went to the Louvre today and saw the Mona Lisa... strange thing... she was smiling at me! hehe... my blog will be updated in the near future but my camera is dead and awaiting the charger that I left at home to be sent. silly me. take lots of pics :) xoxoxox

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:57 p.m.  

  • i know the tshirt you speak of and now the message and love both!
    have a fabu- vegas weekend and know that at least we are in the same country for a few days!! give my hello's to the happy couple too please and report back soon. heart you , cookie xx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:51 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home