life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Week #2

Some of the way cool things about my new job:

  • I get wear a radio and then, during show time, I put on the nifty earpiece that makes me look like some really important backstage manager-type dude at a Janet Jackson Hilary Duff concert. Not the headgear that Janet Hilary would use on-stage herself, but just the earpiece that makes me look like Head of Security or something.
  • I had to buy steel-toed boots for site tear-down and set-up. So I bought groovy black Blundstone steel-toes that look great with jeans and are totally appropriate for a slam-dancin’ night out on the dancefloor. And the company reimbursed me cuz I’m required to have them.
  • My work uniform is black shirt, black dress pants, black shoes. I look GREAT in black. And the company gives me a modest clothing allowance every year to support my shopping addiction help me buy appropriate stuff.
  • We’re in Melbourne. And, despite the similar claim by Cleveland, this is the city that truly ROCKS! And my friend Header will be suitably impressed that I'm practicing my wog accent.
  • I get free access all day and all evening to a kitchen (about 20 steps from my office) that cooks some of the best food I’ve ever eaten. Last night’s dinner: rosemary lamb (yum!). On the less-positive side is the fact that I expect to gain about 10 20 pounds in the first 3 months -- kinda like the old curse known as "The Freshman 20."
  • I’m surrounded by really cool people who are friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, and fun.
  • We had a talk yesterday from the President and COO of the company, who flew in from Montreal yesterday on his annual Circus Tour of all the touring shows. He talked about a lot of stuff and I really believe him – it’s not just propaganda, but real meat-and-potatoes kind of stuff. One of the things I didn’t know was that the company donates 1% of all revenues (not profits, revenues!!) to young people in need through its own charitable foundation. Very impressive!
  • My office is in a tent. Well, that’s not quite true. My office is in a marquis. A climate-controlled, floored-and-carpeted, decked-out-with-a-full-on-sound-system-and-multi-media-suite, adorned-with-ultra-cool-costumes-and-masks-and-stuff, honest to goodness marquis.
  • I get to see about a million smiles every show day from our guests who are absolutely completely blown away by what they see.
  • I’m being put up in an executive serviced apartment in South Yarra, one of the coolest neighbourhoods in Melbourne. It’s about 100m from the Yarra River, a 10-minute walk to Chapel Street, and a 20-minute walk to the Big Top site.
  • I’m back in a role that combines the best of operational, hands-on action and management duties. It’s really invigorating.
  • This company clearly values its employees. I like that. A lot.

At this point I’m pretty stoked about my job. In fact, it's better than I could have ever imagined, which is pretty high praise for this company and this group of people. Of course, the immersion into the culture of the circus over this first week has meant that my blogging schedule has suffered. I’ll get back on track. I promise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home