life is large. why insist on living small?
live large. expand into the space. realize your potential. follow your dreams.

Sunday, January 22, 2006

You know! Canada! The one in France.

I worked a helluva lot of hours this week. Thank goodness we are rewarded for our overtime handsomely in accordance with Employment Standards. And I'm not 100% sure if it's my fatigue, or if I really experienced it, but I'm pretty sure I met one of the most stereotypically ignorant Americans I've met in recent memory.

Sorry to all my American readers out there -- obviously an extremely attractive, tasteful and educated bunch -- but the following exchange is just so incredibly demeaning to other Americans out there that I had to write about it:

Her: "So you're from around here, right?"
Me: "No, don't you remember me telling you the other day that I'm Canadian?"
Her: "Oh, I didn't remember. Sorry."
Me: "No problem."
Her: "So that means you're French."
Me: "Uh.....no. I'm Canadian." (hesitating a few seconds) "Why would you think I'm French?"
Her: "Well, you just said you're Canadian."
Me: "Ya."
Her: "I'm sorry, I don't understand."
Me: "Well, I'm Canadian. Why would you think I'm French?"
Her: "Aren't all Canadians French?"
Me: "Oh, you mean French Canadian?"
Her: "No, I mean French."
Me: "Uh.....well, some Canadians are French Canadian, but that's only about 20% of Canadians."
Her: "You mean you're not French?"
Me (getting somewhat annoyed): "No, I'm neither French nor French Canadian."
Her: "But I thought all Canadians were French."
Me (getting a bit curt now): "Nope."
Her: "I don't understand."
Me: "What don't you understand."
Her: "You know what? It doesn't matter. I just need to get over there. I really need to get over there."
Me (wondering if I should even open this tantalizingly overflowing can of worms): "Over there? What do you mean you need to get over there? Over where?"
Her: "You know. Over to France."
Me: "But we're talking about Canada, right?"
Her: "Ya, that's what I mean."
Me (head spinning): "What's what you mean?"
Her: "You know.....I really should get over there. To Canada."
Me (seriously wondering if she's puttin' me on): "Over to Canada? You mean up to Canada."
Her: "What do you mean?"
Me: "Up to Canada. Canada's north of here."
Her (and incredibly, she's actually rolling her eyes at me): "No, I mean the other Canada."
Me (making all sorts of mental notes for this blog post): "The other Canada? Uh.....which one is that?"
Her: "The French one."
Me: "The French one."
Her: "Ya."
Me: "What do you mean?"
Her: "The one in France. I should go over and visit French Canada someday."
Me: "I'm sorry?"
Her (starting to dismissively walk away): "Oh, don't be sorry. That's OK."
Me (in shock): "OK then.....thanks..."

And if all that wasn't bad enough, imagine all of the "Her" statements spoken in an as-good-as-you-could-fake-for-a-really-bad-school-play Valley Girl accent.

Unfortunately, the accent wasn't put-on. And neither was her lack of intelligence. It was embarrassing for everybody except, apparently, her.

Is it Monday yet? Cuz I could really use that day off.

7 Comments:

  • You mean Canada isn't in France? You learn something new everyday..:)

    Seriously, I think a good gift for 'Her' would be a a very large map. And quite possibly a muzzle.

    By Blogger RedPita, at 8:40 a.m.  

  • You mean that not everyone in New Mexico is Mexican? I've been meaning to get over there too. I think it's near Spain right?!

    Please - pop her out of a cannon one night (tell her that's how to get to French Canada in France). Arg! I weep for the future...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:48 p.m.  

  • Southern California is extra special that way. They sure are pretty, too!

    When my mom tried to register us in school in Nebraska, the superintendant of schools kept trying to speak in Spanish. She explained that we were from New Mexico, and he was like, "Right! Mexico!"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:08 p.m.  

  • All: absolutely right! Clearly, she ain't the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. And, despite what Glenn says, she ain't even that pretty. But that accent -- what a riot to listen to!! I swear it's made up, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

    By Blogger just call me jeff, at 9:14 p.m.  

  • She may just have unwittingly solved Canada's national unity problem....There are a few people herethat I'd be happy to see sent over there....

    By Blogger dantallion, at 9:04 a.m.  

  • Does that mean that from Montreal, where I live, I can take the train to Paris instead of going there by plane? Had I known this before, I'd have saved a lot of money!

    :) lol

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:02 a.m.  

  • Dan and Benoit: indeed. I'm kinda hoping I have the chance to talk to her again, but I fear that I may not be able to hide the tape recorder that I would surely need to bring along to capture it all.

    By Blogger just call me jeff, at 10:44 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home